L’édifice de l’Administraction Municipale
C’est un bâtiment de l’ancien siège de Starostwo Powiatowe ( Starostie de l’Arrondissement ). Il avait été construit au détour du XVIII et XIX – ème siècle. Son intéressante construction architectonique, “le mur prusse” fait qu’il appartient à une petite partie des immeubles de ce style qui se sont conservés à Chełmno. Après la réforme en 1975, il est devenu le siège de l’Administration Municipale.
Cimetière de l’église paroissiale
In the past the bodies of the dead were buried around churches while distinguished city rulers, benefactors and members of noble families were laid to rest in church crypts. In the Middle Ages there were several churches and the same number of cemeteries in Chełmno.
It was only on 29 March 1804 that the Prussian king Frederick Wilhelm issued a decree in which he ordered to set up a cemetery outside the town, which was most probably the consequence of new sanitary regulations. Following these instructions, “Kamlaria”, the finance office of Chełmno donated the Catholic commune an embankment along the city wall spreading between the Toruńska Gate and the Prochowa Flanking Tower. The area designed to be turned into a cemetery had in total: “One “morga” and 74 perches” (measure units of old Chełmno). The earliest burials on the cemetery were initiated only in 1814, while the practice of burying the dead on the church grounds was finally abandoned after the decree had been issued by the prefect of Bydgoszcz on 14 May 1814. Nevertheless, 20 years later the cemetery turned out to be too small, hence in 1852 it was moved forward from the Prochowa Flanking Tower to the gate in 22 Stycznia Street and then in 1877 a new area, a plot purchased from the Sister of Charity, was added. Another extension was done in 1917 when the Town Magistrate granted a plot of land for the parcel next to the Church of the Holy Ghost. In 1907 a mortuary was built and a year later a new set of laws was prepared. Other achievements that were undertaken included encircling the territory with a brick wall with an iron gate, tiling the central passage with cement slabs, and installing a water supply system.
After World War I the cemetery was extended several times. The contemporary cemetery has a distinctive, stepped layout. Regretably, the oldest gravestones have not remained until today. A majority of gravestones and tombs date back to just the mid- 19th century. Appealing features of the cemetery include a baroque crucifix from the 18th century put up on the Neo- Gothic octahedral column from the second half of the main alley, and a stone grave plate of Nikodem Bardzki (died 1863).
Ancien Collège de Chełmno
After the Chełmno Academy was closed down the Chełmno High School (opened in 1837) actively participated in lifting Polish spirit. It was the most Polish in character high school on Pomerania. The battle to introduce the Polish language ended successfully with introducing it in 1840 in high grades only, but in 1849 teaching Polish was extended to all grades. The list of the most prominent teachers of the school included Dr Wojciech Łożyński, priest Antoni Knast and Stanisław Węclewski, a philologist and researcher. The following students made remarkable contribution: Ludwig Rydygier, Stanisław Kujot, and Kurt Schumacher ( at the beginning of the 20th century). Defending Polish traditions and the Polish language was strongly supported ( both financially and morally) by the residents of Chełmno and by the Society for Educational Help for Young Men of West Prussia. During the Prussian occupation the society covered the cost of the studies of approximately 500 students. In the last years of the 19th century, in response to imposing restrictions on teaching the Polish language, many secret self education organisations rapidly developed in the High School. Between 1838 and 1839 the organisation “Polonia” and then in the 1850s the organisation “Zan” were established. After 1871 two organizations were active: “Mickiewicz” and “Tomasz Zan” before they were united into the “Filomaci Society” after 1880 (the name referring to members of society at the Vilnius University) after the initiative of Stefan Łaszewski, the first voivode, of the Pomeranian Province in a later period.
La Caserne de Corpus de Cadets n 2
(Koszary Fryderycjańskie), ul. 22 Stycznia 16
Construite en 1776, pour la Caserne des Cadets, créé dans le but de la germanisation de la jeunesse de noblesse par Frédéric II. Les bâtiments de la caserne étaient contruits dans l’endroit de l‘aménagement bourgeois gothique au style baroque et classique. Le complexe de caserne comprend l’immeuble de l’ecole des Cadets construit en 1829.
La Maison de la Famille Cywiński – au coin de la place centrale, ul. Rycerska 2
C’est une des plus intéressantes maisons de Chełmno. Construite dans la deuxième moitié du XIII – ème siècle et aggrandie par les annexes au cours du XIV- ème siècle. Elle avait été reconstruite en 1570. C’est une construction du gothique et de la renaissance. La façade garde les éléments de la sculpture: le fronton triangulaire avec le bas-relief de l’Anonciation et l’écriture de la fondation de Melchior Cywiński, un tympan semicirculaire avec le bas-relief de l’hommage de Trois Rois ainsi que les masques et les têtes des lions.
La Maison ul. Grudziądzka 36
Construite dans la deuxième moitié du XVIII – ème siècle sur les murs du pourtour de la maison gothique du XV ou XVI – ème siècle. Son apparence actuelle est du baroque tardif avec un beau sommet.
Les magasins de blé
Le magasin de blé, le plus intéressant, se trouve à la rue Podmurna 2. Il avait été construit au détour du XVIII et XIX – ème siècle, il est d’une construction szachulcowy à savoir, d’un mur prusse, sur des fondements en pierre et de deux étages.
Tour de Mestwin
Mestwin’s Tower situated In the North- East of the premises of the convent, next to the fortified wall, and adjoining the preserved wing of the convent. The tower was erected in the second half of the 13th century when it was probably a part of a /the Teutonic residence. It makes a rare example of residential towers. The has been rebuilt many times until it achieved the present shape.